What do I blog about?

Friday, September 16, 2011

Babies don't keep

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait
'till tomorrow, fore children grow up,
as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. 
Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking
my baby and babies don't keep. 
                          -Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

I painted these wood letters that I already had on hand. Printed the last verse of the poem, "Babies Don't Keep," onto vellum paper and used modge podge  to get the phrases onto the letters. I also decorated the letters with some buttons I had in my craft drawer. Then, I cut up an old tee shirt and sewed the rough edges together. I needed something to attach it all to... so I took apart our clothes drying rack. Then, I folded over the top of each strip and sewed so that a loop was formed. I threaded the piece from the drying rack thru each loop and hot glued the other end of the fabric strips to each letter (F A M I L Y). Finally, I tied black ribbon around the white pole and into bows that sit lovely on the two nails my husband hammered into the wall for me.

1 comment: