What do I blog about?

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Home made granola

I remember the fist time I discovered that cake could be made from scratch. I was working in Westminster, CO at a rehabilitation center and one of our nurses was enjoying her birthday. Our head nurse brought in this amazing, layered, chocolate cake for the occasion that was unlike anything I had ever produced out of a Betty Crocker box. Her secret? She made this cake from scratch! It had never before occurred to me that this could be done! I had seen this woman administer life saving medications, issue orders to her staff, insert IVs and reason with the most afraid of patients. But, it was her cake baking skills that won my respect. The other day I had a similar ah- ha! moment while browsing the Simply Sugar and Gluten Free blog and came across a recipe for cinnamon vanilla granola. Granola?! You can make granola? Yes, apparently you can. It is easy and calls for apple sauce so I didn't have to abandon my apple devotion. Delicious. Even my husband likes it, (which is more than I can say for store bought versions.)

Yes- I did eat my breakfast, apple sauce and yogurt topped with the granola, out of that fancy glass. Somethings we never out grow. When I was a child and we would go to visit my great grandmother, she would order from Kentucky Fried Chicken and let me serve it up on her fancy china. We would drink Pepsi and orange soda out of tea cups, with our pinky fingers pointed straight up in the air.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find the dried cranberry juive stuff? Or the pepitas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ms. Rowley, I sent you a FB message about those ingredients.

    ReplyDelete