What do I blog about?

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Jesus Showed Us How to Love Others


 30 Weeks to bringing our children unto Christ using the nursery manual found on lds.org.
Each morning, we begin our day with breakfast at the dining room table. 
Before we start our hectic day, we take some time to be still...
We pray together and we learn of Him.
In just a few moments a day, we plan to complete one lesson each week. 


Lesson five is:

Jesus Christ Showed Us How to Love Others
Images available at ldsclipart.com

How we learned this lesson:


1. Sing about it: Our daughter especially loves when we sing together. So, I decided to introduce three songs this week. I didn't expect her to learn them all, or even to try to sing along with me. But, she likes listening to me and this time when she insists, "again, again" I had a couple options to chose from. 

The first, as suggested by the lesson on lds.org, is: I'm trying to be like Jesus. (Music and lyrics here.) The chorus is especially sweet: 
Love one another as Jesus loves you. 
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought, 
For these are the things Jesus taught.

The second song, Jesus Said Love Everyone (music and lyrics here,) was fun to do with the actions suggested by the lesson plan:

Jesus said love everyone; (spread arms out wide)
Treat them kindly too. (nod head up and down)
When your heart is filled with love, (put hand over heart)
Others will love you. (hug self)

The third song, is a childhood favorite of mine: As I Have Loved You. (Music and lyrics here.) 
As I have loved you,
love one another... 


And, *DOUBLE BONUS* lds.org even provides video for two of these three songs in sign language! You'll see the links there on the right when you open up the music via the links given above for I'm Trying to be Like Jesus and, As I Have Loved You. 

2. Read about it: The scriptures tell of countless stories where Jesus Christ showed love to those around him. We chose to read a new scripture story every day. 

The stories we used were: 
     3 Nephi 17:21–24    Jesus blessed the children when he visited the Nephites. 
     John 9:1–12            Jesus gave sight to the blind man.
     Matthew 14:13–21   Jesus fed the thousand with fish and bread. 
     Luke 10: 30 - 35      Jesus gives the parable of the Good Samaritan.
     Mark 1: 34               Jesus heals the sick

To keep her interested: I printed off a clip art picture to represent each story, wrote a verse on the back, and put them in a bag. Our daughter then had the very important role of choosing a picture out of the bag each day! She loved this! The picture prompted discussion and made reading the verses more fun. Having the verse written on the back helped me stay organized so that talking about the stories, and reading a verse from the story went smoothly and quickly, therefore keeping her attention. 

3. Talk about it: Our daughter loves for us to tell her stories before nap time and bed time. It's her way of stalling. So heck, why not use the time to reiterate what we learned during our little daily lesson time? 

4. Personalize it: I made more of an effort to remember and emulate Christ's love in my own actions this week. I found myself with added patience and gratitude toward my little children. 

This lesson can be viewed in its entirety here, atlds.org

1 comment:

  1. Found you through the linky party, and had to check this out. I really try to incorporate Christ in the lives of my children, so I'm all ear to hear how other moms are accomplishing this as well! Sounds like you're doing a fabulous job. New follower, here!

    Hugs from Oklahoma,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete